The increase in PAO applications is largely driven by the stability of the PAO molecule, a highly purified ethylene derivative. This stability, along with a host of other unique performance characteristics, makes PAOs far superior to mineral oils in a variety of uses.
Chevron Phillips Chemical plays a part in the growing use of PAOs by working closely with customers to identify and develop products that address changing application needs and government regulations. Our commitment to PAO research and development efforts exceeds present industry standards.
PAOs are specially designed chemicals that are uniquely made from alpha olefins. These stable molecules are produced by:
- Steam cracking hydrocarbons to produce ultra high-purity ethylene
- Ethylene oligomerization to develop 1-decene and 1-dodecene
- Decene or dodecene oligomerization to form a mixture of dimers, trimers, tetramers and higher oligomers
PAOs have many advantages over mineral oils:
- Greater oxidative stability
- Superior volatility
- Excellent low-temperature viscosities
- Consistent, quality basestock
- Extremely high viscosity index
- Excellent pour points
- Pure petrochemical feedstocks
Synfluid® PAOs are produced at our state-of-the-art petrochemical complex at Cedar Bayou near Houston, Texas.