Prior to commencing our divorce services, we meet with a potential client in consultation. During the consultation we seek to educate the potential client on the divorce process and the issues that must be addressed, including the various stages of the case and trial and the parties' financial situation, which includes business interests, bank accounts, inheritances, maintenance, non-marital property, personal property, real estate, retirement funds, stocks, vehicles and the possible division of same. For cases involving children we also discuss the best interests of the children, child care expenses, child support, children's representatives, custody evaluations, holiday scheduling, medical expenses, medical insurance, mediation, parenting time and visitation, and the various types of custody: joint, sole or shared.
- Child Custody and Support
- If you have a child out of wedlock, your parental issues are addressed through a parentage action. Paternity cases involve issues such as establishing parentage, contesting parentage, obtaining DNA testing to determine parentage, child custody, child support, visitation, medical insurance, medical expenses and other issues relating directly to the child.
- Post-Decree Divorce
- This area ranges from implementing terms of a divorce decree to providing review of ongoing obligations such as support for children or a former spouse. If a former spouse is not complying with the terms of a divorce decree, steps can be taken in court to ensure the enforcement of a court order.
- The addition of a new family member through an adoption can be a wonderful experience.
- Pre-Nuptial Agreements
- For a variety of reasons, some couples seek to enter into an agreement in advance of marriage to provide for future events such as death or divorce. A pre-nuptial agreement can address these concerns.
- Civil Unions
- Our civil union practice involves not only advice to those couples considering entry into a civil union but also the preparation of additional financial and legal documents that may strengthen the status of the couple outside of Illinois.
We advocate for our clients' best interests with dedication and vigor to obtain the best result possible while maintaining a level of reality so our clients obtain fair and reasonable results.