Building A Log Home
If you are planning to build a log home or a timber frame home, you'll find much of the work starts before construction ever begins. It's important to do your research beforehand to prevent problems and confusion down the road. We offer the following suggestions for prospective log home or timber frame home owners.
Planning Process For Building A Log Home Or Timber Frame Home
- Do your homework, so that when you decide on the company that will provide your log home or timber frame home, it is an educated decision based on sound research.
- Initiate contact with each company, which should be followed by a visit to their model home to discuss your project in detail.
- After discussing options and reviewing plans, ask for a free, no-obligation quote. Typically you should have a quote returned within five business days.
- Once you finalize the company that will provide your log home or timber frame home package, initiate contract action. At this point, you are beginning to plan site visits, meet with contractors and arrange for infrastructure (such as well, road and septic).
- Approximately two weeks after ordering the home, you should receive the first set of preliminary drawings. At this point you will see your log home or timber frame home scaled out on paper for the first time. Plans need to be reviewed and re-submitted for changes (if needed). Remember this is why you are building a custom home - to meet your specific needs/desires.
- Approximately two weeks later, revised plans should be back for review. If you like what you see, you will sign off to go to full set of construction/engineered drawings. (Note: this process could take longer if you need more changes/reviews).
- Approximately six weeks after that you will receive stamped/engineered plans. You and/or your builder will then apply for building permits
The process outlined above will get you to the point where you are ready to start the construction of the home; this timeframe is typically around four months for the average person. However, it can be much faster if you choose a standard plan that does not need much, if any, alteration. Obviously, it also can take longer if you require several rounds of revised plans.